A few hours spent on fall maintenance will protect the investment you’ve made, and make for a more comfortable and worry-free winter ahead. Get started with a fall “to-do” list:
- Ensure windows and doors (especially the one between house & garage) close tightly; repair or replace weather stripping if needed.
- Check your roof for loose or missing shingles.
- Ensure your eavestroughs and downspouts are clear.
- Check your chimney for nests, other obstructions, or buildup of residues.
- Get a pro to inspect your heating system. Clean or replace the furnace air filter each month all winter.
- Have ducts professionally cleaned every few years; vacuum everything you can reach.
- Check your home safety devices and change the batteries.
- Change the direction of ceiling fans to push warm air from the ceiling down.
- Cover outside of air-conditioning unit.
- Drain and store outdoor hoses. Protect delicate landscaping.
Have a great fall season.